top of page
Northampton is one of the oldest towns in Western Australia, having been declared a townsite in 1864. It was classified as a "historic town" by the National Trust of Australia WA in 1993 in recognition of the important heritage buildings which have been conserved and which are still in use there.
Originally called The Mines, Northampton was gazetted in 1864 and named after the colony's Governor, John Hampton. The town was sited in the Nokanena Brook valley, between the hamlets around the two major copper mines in the area, the Wanerenooka and the Gwalla.
Details on the planning and the projects for the trip are in the project summary document below
bottom of page